Re: size/filesize - or how to initiate a looong run

From: Jens Axboe <jens.axboe_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:25:36 +0200

On Fri, May 25 2007, peter wrote:
> Jens Axboe wrote:

> >> I agree, and if you find such weak spots in the documentation, please do
> >> point them out to me so I can fix them!
> >>
> >> The above doesn't have any real meaning right now, you would need to
> >> specify a number of loops to reach the 128g. But I think it should work
> >> as you expected it to, it seems the most logical way to handle it. I'll
> >> take a look at fixing that up.
> >
> > This patch should fix that up, I've committed it. Your job file above
> > would then run until 128gb of IO has been done.
> >

> Will try it, but it has to wait until next week (Busy friday, today).
>
> What I miss in that patch is a rewording in the HOWTO ;-)

Is this better:

size=siint The total size of file io for this job. Fio will run until
                this many bytes has been transferred, unless runtime is
                limited by other options (such as 'runtime', for instance).
                Unless specific nr_files and filesize options are given,
                fio will divide this size between the available files
                specified by the job.

?

--
Jens Axboe