Re: Fio could damage some disk/partitions already used

From: Erwan Velu <erwan_at_seanodes.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:17:29 +0200

Jens Axboe wrote:
> Not much I can do about that... O_EXCL doesn't really help very much, as
> it only applies to others that use O_EXCL. And you really do want
> several fio jobs to access a raw partition as well, so it would rule out
> some interesting tests.

But for example e2fsck is able to say my partition is already mounted and shouldn't be fscked.
I tried to see how does e2fsck to handle this and it sounds it tries to open the devices as RO O_EXCL to check if the partition is already accessed in RW..

[...]
open("/dev/sda8", O_RDONLY|O_EXCL) = -1 EBUSY (Device or resource busy)

As I'm not a kernel expert, I surely missed something ;))
Erwan,