Re: Trace replaying

From: Joshua Root <jmr_at_gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:49:51 +1000

Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07 2007, Joshua Root wrote:
>> I can't figure out the right way to tell fio to replay a trace captured
>> with blktrace. There don't seem to be any specific examples of this in
>> the documentation or readily apparent on the web.
>>
>> Should "fio --name=replay --read_iolog=foo" do something useful,
>> assuming foo is binary blktrace output? If not, what would a typical
>> command line for trace replaying look like?
>
> First you capture data with blktrace, then you output a sorted binary
> file that fio can use. Ala:
>
> # blktrace /dev/sdb
>
> (ctrl-c when done). This produces sdb.blktrace.[0..N] files, depending
> on how many CPUs you have. Then you have to use blkparse to sort and
> prepare that data:
>
> # blkparse sdb -d sdb.bin
>
> This produces an sdb.bin file, which is what fio needs to replay. Then

Right. The docs were clear enough up to this point.

> you need to do something ala
>
> # fio --name=replay --filename=/dev/sdb --direct=1 --read_iolog=sdb.bin
>
> to replay that IO pattern.

OK, so you have to play it back against the device it was captured from.
I was kind of hoping that a sparse regular file could be used. So if I
want to replay writes, I'll need an expendable partition.

Thanks for your help.

--
Joshua Root,  jmr AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au