infinite loop when doing disk zone testing

From: Ryan Thomas <Ryan.Thomas_at_nuance.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:08:50 -0500

I have a disk that is 976773117 sectors (512 bytes) in size. I tried
running a disk zone test with the following parameters

[global]

bs=64k

direct=1

rw=read

ioengine=libaio

iodepth=2

zonesize=256m

zoneskip=2g

write_bw_log

[/dev/e214.0]

write_iolog=foo2

When I try to run this job, everything goes well until the job reaches
90% done and at that point the io goes quiet. At that point the iolog
shows that fio goes into an infinite loop of opening and closing the
device.

/dev/e214.0 read 500107640832 65536

/dev/e214.0 read 500107706368 65536

/dev/e214.0 close

/dev/e214.0 open

/dev/e214.0 close

/dev/e214.0 open

/dev/e214.0 close

/dev/e214.0 open

/dev/e214.0 close

/dev/e214.0 open

/dev/e214.0 close

If I run a slightly different job where I try to align the zones at 2g
boundaries by specifying zoneskip=1792m (g-256m ) the job runs just
fine.

The problem is that the disk only has 207 full zonesize plus zoneskip
cycles. The partial zonesize range at the end falls of the end of the
disk resulting in failed io and apparently fio is retrying the device to
try and finish that last zone.

Ryan