Re: FIO enter dead-loop to look for new file

From: Zhang, Yanmin <yanmin_zhang_at_linux.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:45:25 +0800

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 11:01 +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04 2008, Zhang, Yanmin wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 17:03 +0800, Zhang, Yanmin wrote:
> > > When I used below job file to test, it hangs. I used gdb to check it and found
> > > thread_main keeps calling clear_io_state over and over again. Every sub-process
> > > has one file, but it doesn't finish its task after it finishs the file, so it
> > > calls do_io again and again although it has no more file.
> > >
> > > If change bsrange=4k-4k, it does work. if it's 2k-4k, it also doesn't work.
> > If I use bs=2k to replace bsrange, it looks like it does work although
> > my testing is still running.
>
> Can you try the current version, I fixed some bugs in this area on
> friday? Either use git to download it, or just use
>
> http://brick.kernel.dk/snaps/fio-git-latest.tar.gz
I tried it. with bsrange=2k-4k, it doesn't hang. However, there is anthoer issue.
I used 9 disks and every disk has a 1GB file. Every 2 threads do I/O on one file, so there
are 18 threads and 9 groups. With the new fio-git, the status shows there are just
4 threads working on I/O. The result also showed 5 groups has no result.